SQL Monitor connects to Windows machines and SQL Server instances using WMI, either over WinRM or DCOM. This section covers problems encountered by the monitoring service (base monitor) in establishing connections to SQL Server instances.
Sometimes these problems are resolved by adjusting the permissions granted to the base monitor account. Other problems with technologies and infrastructure such as WMI, firewalls and so on are outside SQL Monitor's control, but this section lists specific known errors, and how to resolve them, along with a guide to the most useful documentation pages offering advice on configuring connections and tracing the source of WMI connection failures.
Reported errors or problems:
- Provided user account cannot query WMI
- WMI 0x80041064 Error Message when Testing SQL Monitor Connection to Monitored Instances
- WMI leaks memory on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
- SQL Monitor connection error - Cannot generate SSPI context
- Unable to monitor servers hosted in the cloud, or on a different network from the base monitor
- Configuring WMI Connections
SQL Monitor documentation for connections over DCOM or WinRM, including firewall requirements.
- Monitoring status explained
SQL Monitor documentation describing connection issues to monitored entities or monitoring status and how to view the logs.
- What to try if you hit connection problems
SQL Monitor documentation on how to test SQL Connections and WMI Connections, including sample PowerShell scripts to interrogate security settings, firewall rules ports and so on.
- Permissions required by base monitor
SQL Monitor documentation summarizing the permissions required, both on the remote server and SQL Server instance, and on the base monitor server.
- Adding SQL Server instances running on different types of server
SQL Monitor documentation reviewing the requirements for SQL Servers on Standard Windows machines and clusters, virtual machines (IaaS) and running as a cloud-hosted service (PaaS).
- Windows Management Instrumentation
Microsoft WMI documentation.