When running a restore, you may come across the following error message:
SQL error 3013: SQL error 3013: RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
SQL error 3203: SQL error 3203: Read on "SQLBACKUP_D0C6D45A-3D8B-447B-A537-5B472539AC4A01" failed: 38(Reached the end of the file.)
SQL Error 3013 is a generic error to inform that an error has occurred.
In this case it's SQL Error 3203 which can have several causes:
- Trouble accessing the SQB File (possibly permissions related).
- Backup File Corruption
- Backup Location being unreliable
You can test for each of these causes using the below troubleshooting steps.
- To test whether it's an access issue, try running the following SQL Backup Script from SSMS as a query: https://documentation.red-gate.com/sbu/scripting-sql-backup-pro/the-restore-sqbheaderonly-command
If the above runs successfully, that means that there should be no issues with access.
- To test whether it's backup file corruption, run the Integrity File Checker from this tool: https://download.red-gate.com/support/sql_backup/Testing_Utilities/SBaTU.zip
If it continues to fail in the same spot each time, it would probably indicate that your backup is corrupt.
- If it fails in a different spot each time, it could be an issue with reliability of the location where your .sqb is saved. An example being that the network connectivity is unreliable.