If you need to change to a new machine, it's possible to move the SQL Servers that are already registered in SQL Backup to a new server, without re-registering them in the SQL Backup graphical user interface (GUI).
- Locate a file called servers.dat which is normally in this path:
C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Red Gate\SQL Backup
where <User Name> of the user that has the servers registered in their GUI.
This file contains the connection information for each server you have registered.
- Close the SQL Backup GUI on your new workstation.
- Copy the server.dat file from your old workstation to your new workstation in the same folder path above (if the user who will be using the GUI is different change <User Name>).
- On your new workstation, navigate to this path:
C:\Users<User Name>\AppData\Local\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Server Data\
(again for the user who is using the GUI)
- You will find 2 or more .dat files, for example 1.dat, 53.dat, localDataCache.dat. Delete all of the .dat files located here - do not worry, new files will be created when you open the GUI in the next step.
- Now open the SQL Backup GUI, it will populate the registered servers from the copied servers.dat file and create the .dat file deleted in the previous steps.